Last fall, I expressed my frustrations with the “black bloc” tactics of some anarchists after attending the otherwise successful General Strike in Oakland (HERE and HERE). Now they are at it again, only this time in San Francisco’s Mission district.
Across the country in NYC, there have been reports of white powder being sent to the mayor’s office, corporate banks, and various media outlets.
All of this is further hampering the Occupy Movement’s attempts to gain respect and draw mainstream attention to the social, ecological, and economic injustices that have become the norm in America. Instead, it is becoming easier for the media to dismiss the whole thing as a juvenile temper tantrum and for the US government to begin using anti-terrorism tactics against it.
Is there anyone out there who might be able to explain the motivations behind these kinds of actions to me? I’m having trouble understanding the logic…
- Notes on the Occupation from the Mountaintop (footnotes2plato.com)
- #OccupySF: May Day Riot Starts Early (thebusypost.wordpress.com)
- “Black Bloc” Occupiers Turn On Media (buzzfeed.com)
- First #OWS May Day General Strike Violence Reported At #OSF (alexanderhiggins.com)
- This Is What Stupidity Looks Like! (With Special Guest, Andrea Horwath!) (genuinewitty.wordpress.com)
- Black Bloc: the Cancer in Occupy: Chris Hedges Op-ed (breadandrosesradio.wordpress.com)